Friday, March 16, 2018

My Interview with the gorgeous Clarissa Goenawan

The writer of Rainbirds, a novel book that break through the US Publisher.


This is second time, I wrote something in English on my blog, lol.

Merely, Clarissa is Indonesian born Singaporean writer. Clarissa growing up in Surabaya and move to Singapore in her teenage. Now, she’s been married and living there, with her three lovely daughter.

She had been office work & banker actually, before being writer. Wins the Bath Novel Award and got into Pontas Literature and Film Agency; agency that contain huge writer like Eka Kurniawan, Leila S Chudori, and many other international writer from all the globe.

Well, there is a lot of website, blogger, and influencer that have been interviewing Clarissa. That is, on here, I’m gonna interview Clarissa with different questions, hahaha.


FT: First, congratulations Clarissa for your grande debut novel Rainbirds

CG: Thank you :D


FT: Ok, this will be nostalgic. Tell me what your teenage life in Surabaya?

CG: I was a pretty active student in high school. I used to be a member of OSIS, a regular contributor for the school magazine, and a keyboard player for a school band.


FT: This is fans question, what is your favorite food (in Indonesia, Singapore, & Japan)?

CG: Indonesia: my Mum’s lele goreng (the sambal is out of the world), Singapore: my Auntie’s ngoh hiang (five-spice pork rolls wrapped with tofu skin), Japan: salmon sashimi (I can eat copious amounts of it!)


FT: From the other interview, I found that you go into Japanese or manga club in high school? Can you describe it?

CG: In my high school, everyone had to choose an extracurricular. I joined the Japanese language club. Not surprisingly, most of the members are anime and manga lovers. Apart from learning the language, we also discovered more about the culture through various activities, like singing traditional folk songs and anime soundtracks, doing origami, and many more.


FT: Rainbirds is surprising me. By the way, when the idea of Rainbirds come to you?

CG: I got the idea in 2013. At that time, a question into my mind: What if someone I cared about unexpectedly passed away, and I realized too late I never got to know them well?


FT: How do the Rainbirds come to Bath Novel Award?

CG: In 2014, I had the privilege to learn from novelist Jenny Ashcroft under the WoMentoring Project. It’s a free mentorship for women writers. Jenny was the one who encouraged me to submit Rainbirds for the Bath Novel Award. Winning the competition has opened doors of opportunities and changed my life.


FT: Another fans question, what is your favorite crime fiction book? And why?

CG: Right now, it’s ‘Malice’ by Keigo Higashino. The story is about a famous novelist who is found brutally murdered in his home the night before he is due to relocate. It’s hard to explain why I like the book without giving any spoilers. Let’s just say the fact that the crime and subsequent reveals could only happen because the main characters are writers greatly appeals to me.


FT: What do you think about Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot? Lol.

CG: Both are them are well-loved characters who use extraordinary intellectual deductions to solve crimes, though at times, they can appear kind of snobbish.


FT: What your first Japanese novel book that you ever read? And has it impact to you writing style?

CG: Totto-chan: The Little Girl at the Window. I read it so many years ago I can’t recall it very well, so I doubt it has much influence on my current writing style, but I remember the story was heart-warming.


FT: I know this is sound cruel, from other interview, you said that you don’t believe in write block, can you explain why you do that?

CG: Personally, I’ve never experienced any writer’s block, so what I said might be presumptuous. But I do believe that the keys to consistent writing productivity are hard work, perseverance, and discipline.


FT: I got info about Rainbirds, you said that your favorite character in that book is Rio Nakajima? Who is she?

CG: Ren Ishida, the narrator of Rainbirds, is an English teacher in a cram school. Rio Nakajima is one of his students. She speaks her mind without holding back, unafraid to chase after the things that she wants, and doesn’t care about what others think of her—and I really love her boldness.


FT: Is that any story behind the name Ren Ishida? Cause first I heard that name, I remembering through character from my old favorite manga.

CG: Interesting question! Hmmm… I just thought that the name would suit him. I also like Ren Honjo, a character from Japanese comic NANA, though that wasn’t the reason I chose the name.


FT: This is silly question, is that any relation thing between banker or study in finance with crime and mystery writer? Lol. Because a lot of my friend has story like you, banker or ex-banker whom became mystery writer.

CG: My guess is people in banking and finance probably know a thing or two about saving and managing money, so they can afford to pursue a non-financially lucrative career as a writer.


FT: Which book influenced you the most? Beside Stephen King On Writing, hehe.

CG: Haruki Murakami’s Norwegian Wood.


FT: Any advice for Southeast Asia kids who’d like to be published overseas?

CG: Get a good literary agent who embraces and celebrates diversity.


FT: Last, what are you working on right now? Beside promoting Rainbirds.

CG: The next novels, of course. I’m working on my second and third novel. Both are literary mysteries. And just like Rainbirds, they’re set in Japan.

Fun fact: All of my novels are interrelated. They’re standalones—they have different stories and different main characters—but they’re set in the same universe. You’ll find characters in Rainbirds making appearances in the next novels. I hope readers who’ve read Rainbirds will have fun guessing which characters will become the next main characters.
 


CLARISSA GOENAWAN’S BIOGRAPHY

Clarissa Goenawan is an Indonesian-born Singaporean writer. Her debut novel, RAINBIRDS, is the winner of the 2015 Bath Novel Award. Her short stories have won several awards and been published in various literary magazines and anthologies. She loves rainy days, pretty books, and hot green tea.

Social media: Twitter @Claireclaire15, Facebook Clarissa Goenawan, Instagram @Clarissagoenawan, website Clarissagoenawan.com

.  .  .

- Fitrah Tanzil

Nb: Photos from Instagram.

7 comments:

  1. Wow!
    Thanks sudah posting interview kamu bareng Clarissa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Hana Kiyya, Yoi.
      Btw thank you sudah mampir, hihi.

      Delete
  2. great.. you be international interviewers. congrats bro..

    I hope you soon publish works as good as rainbirds or better ..

    I'm ready to wait to have it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Gogo, wahahaha, thank you sudah mampir

      Btw long time no see.

      Delete